The landscape of Collaboration solutions
Basics & trends
Improving collaboration is an important theme in many organisations. Numerous tools aim to be helpful when you are trying to deal with questions as:
- Where do I find the information I am looking for?
- How can we connect to people who can help us?
- How do we track that we are on schedule?
- How do we co-create as a team, when we are located in different locations and sometimes different timezones? How do we deliver excellent results as a virtual team?
- How do we keep my leaders, clients and other stakeholders connect to our project?
Some of the trends we see:
- Standardisation of collaboration tools across an organisations is difficult, and many organisations are letting go of their “One-size-fits-all” aspiration (which was often driven by IT).
- Most collaboration tools are consumer apps, not corporate systems. People want to use the tools they use at home (like WhatsApp and Facebook) also at work.
- It is a challenge to find solutions that are most appropriate for the task at hand and not end up with a big variety of applications that have difficulty to communicate with each other.
Relevant info & links
- Flipboard: Magazine on Global Collaboration
- Lynda Gratton & Tamara J. Erickson: Eight ways to build collaborative teams
- Marcus Johnson: Collaboration in the workplace – 8 of the best ways to improve communication & teamwork
- Jackson Nieuwland: 28 best collaboration tools to improve teamwork in 2018
- Craig Stewart: the 18 best tools for online collaboration
- Time Docter: 47 online collaboration tools to help your team be more productive
- Laetitia Vitaud: Do online collaboration tools still matter?
- Juebong Khwarg:How Can SMS Benefit Your Human Resource Department? [Infographic]